Christchurch Climate & Temperature
- Christchurch, New Zealand is at 43°31'S, 172°37'E, 7 m (23 ft). See map.
- Christchurch has a marine west coast climate that is mild with no dry season, warm summers. Heavy precipitation occurs during mild winters which are dominated by mid-latitude cyclones. Seasonality is moderate (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cfb).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Christchurch is situated in or near the cool temperate steppe biome.
- The mean temperature is 11.7 degrees Celsius (53.1 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 11.4 °C (20.5°F). This indicates that the continentality type is oceanic, subtype truly oceanic.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 11°C (51.8°F) on average falling to 1.7°C (35°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 16.7°C (62°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 7°C (44.6°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 21°C (69.8°F) and average low temperatures are 11.7°C (53°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 16.7°C (62°F) during the day and lows of 7.3°C (45.2°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 615.2 mm (24.2 inches) which is equivalent to 615.2 Litres/m² (15.09 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 1990 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from Christchurch you would pop up nearest to the climate station at La Coruna, Spain where you would find a Mediterranean climate (Cool temperate moist forest biome).
Christchurch Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Christchurch Climate Graph in Metric Units
Christchurch Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of Christchurch, New Zealand Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Topic: Climate of Christchurch, New Zealand
Page 1 of 1
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides: